Canon Profit and the camera industry

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ByronP Contributing Member • Posts: 862
Canon Profit and the camera industry

It has been speculated that Canon's profits will decline 40% this year. I quote, "Canon’s profit likely to slide 40% on European slowdown

By Canon Rumors | July 18, 2019 | Canon Business General

NIKKEI Asian Review – TOKYO — Canon‘s operating profit is on track to sink 40% this year to slightly over 200 billion yen ($1.85 billion), Nikkei has learned, amid a slowing European economy and slumping chip market.

The Japanese company’s profit for the year ending in December is seen falling roughly 60 billion yen short of its downgraded guidance in April. Sales likely will shrink 6% to a figure above 3.7 trillion yen, off about 100 billion yen from April’s forecast. The full-year projections are expected to be lowered again when Canon presents first-half earnings next week.

Worsening economic conditions in Europe have caused corporate clients to hold off on investments, softening sales of office equipment and other machinery. The depreciation of the euro against the yen also undercut profitability in exports. Read the full story at Nikkei Asian Review"

I don't know if this is true or not but it could easily be true.  When things like this happen it forces companies to change their strategic investments no matter what we as customers like about their products.  And, things like this that happens to the market share leader, if true seem to snowball down in one way or another to the rest of the industry.  So if true????? hold on tight as the ride could prove to be interesting.

Our M cameras no matter what happens to Canon will still click away and can still take great images by the way as well as my new Sony A7iii camera.

Oh well.

ByronP's gear list:ByronP's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M5 Sony a7 III
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow