Reasons for using the Pany 35-100mm F2.8

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Gary from Seattle Senior Member • Posts: 3,480
Re: Reasons for using the Pany 35-100mm F2.8

bokemon wrote:

Hello folks,

You can take a look at my gear list to see what other lenses I already have. One of the things I like to do is just walk around and take pictures of random objects. (No people pictures, though). I have only been at this a few months, but I realized a few things:

1) I don't like using primes

2) My walk-arounds extend into the evening when the sky turns a dark blue

3) When the lighting becomes poor, if I don't have at least F2.8, then I give up and go home.

4) I don't have much experience using focal lengths of 40-100mm in poor lighting

My lens of choice so far is the Olympus 12-40 F2.8. With it, I can take decent pictures of buildings at night, or focus-stacked images of flowers in the shade. I tend to use it on the wide end because the image stabilization seems to work better there, allowing for long exposure. But this Pany lens will have Dual IS2, which will allow for longer exposures on the long end too.

I have both these lenses. I consider my options in choosing whether to carry just the 12-40.

So my question is what type of pictures do you take in this focal range under poor lighting conditions, and using the big aperture? For any instances when the lighting is good, I would just use the 14-140 instead.

The 35-100 is fast and accurate focusing using S-AF. I use it for wildlife including bees and butterflies for that reason. In the mountains I often carry both lenses, depending. It is also very sharp.

The other thing is that I am not a big fan of switching lenses, especially for "the walk-around", so I wonder if the 35-100mm will be too limiting.

Gary from Seattle's gear list:Gary from Seattle's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow