Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,335
Re: Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Batdude wrote:

im pretty sure it is a very tiny % and like I said, I’m sure there are specific fields where high res files are required by an employer,

So the only reason for a need of high res files is because you're a professional employed by someone?  That shouldn't even be up for debate.

assuming that they ALSO know what they are doing or asking for, but yeah the majority of people on our planet do not need high res pictures.

What's the "majority" have to do with it?  As long as there is a group of photographers that need high resolution then companies need to provide it.  It doesn't matter if that number is 1%, 10%, 20%, or more.

i met some gentlemen the other day that hired me to photo shoot an event and he bought a Sony A7RIII recently and when I asked him how he liked it he said “oh God I love it”.

I honestly don’t exactly know what he does with his pictures but I do know he is not a professional photographer and he doesn’t do paid jobs.

So by definition he doesn't need high res, right?  Laughable.  And since you don't know what he does with them you can safely assume he doesn't need it?

He is kind of like a model and what I do know is that whatever pictures he or someone else takes of him all he does is post his photos on Facebook for social media stuff and I know that what all these people do is look at aaaalllll these stuff on their cell phones. That’s the darn truth.

Who are "ALL" these people that you are lumping together?  I don't look at my photos on a cell phone.  I can't stand being forced to look at other people's photos on a cell phone either.  I'll bet I'm not alone.

The old argument of need vs. want should just be thrown out the window.  What does "need" mean?  If I don't have it I'll die, starve, lose my job, etc?  And by that definition, if I only "want" something I shouldn't be able to expect some company to provide it?  I don't need a $500 bottle of champagne so no winery should make it?

As someone who does a fair amount of bird photography I don't think I'm off base in saying that my wanting a high res camera is justified.  I use 500 and 600mm lenses, sometimes with a teleconverter.  And many times I still have to crop 2/3 to 3/4 of the pixels away.  After doing that I still want to see detail and I want to be able to make large prints.

I've shot a lot of runway fashion shows and other events.  Do I need more than 20 MP for that?  No, absolutely not.  I used to shoot that with my D3, D4, and D5.  But for many of my other amateur pursuits I absolutely expect camera companies to offer high res cameras.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gsz
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow