Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 GM for a7r III and family pictures?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NatureBX Regular Member • Posts: 226
Re: Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 GM for a7r III and family pictures?

Since you already have 24-70GM, which is an excellent lens, I think it’s better to get 85GM or 135GM.

i had 24-70GM before and since I got it, the picture was good enough that I didn’t even use the 55mm f1.8. While the bokeh from the 50mm f1.4 is better I think it’s still better to get 85GM since it can be more useful for other purposes and the bokeh of the 85GM is better. You can also use the 85GM to take family and your wife portrait, it’s perfect focal length for outdoors. If you need wider then you already got the 24-70mm and if you use wider FL then usually you want to include more background so f2.8 is good enough

I currently have 50mm f1.4, 85GM and 135GM. The 85GM is excellent for portrait and you can use it to capture the moment when your kids can walk and running around. As kids grow older, the 135GM will allow more room for capture the actions.

i personally think that every photographer need an 85mm or 135mm

Campione22 wrote:

Hi,

I am

hoping to hear opinions on which of these lenses would suit my needs better. I switched to a Sony a7r III back in February from Canon and absolutely love it! I am a landscape hobbyist, but really switched to the a7r III to have higher resolution for photographing my newborn daughter. I have the 24-70 2.8 GM and it's a great lens. It's the only lens I have.

Recently, I was able to borrow both the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 and the Sony 85mm 1.4 GM. Both are ridiculously amazing lenses, and my wife is allowing me to buy one. I am unsure of which one I like better. I am leaning towards the 50mm 1.4, but is it worth the money for the extra stops when I already have that focal length covered? Also, I love taking pictures of my daughter with other family members holding her, so is the 85mm 1.4 a bit too tight? I feel like I may have to back up a bit more, and indoors, I may not have that luxury.

I appreciate all the opinions in advance. Like I said, I am a recreational shooter, definitely not a pro. I just love the hobby and want great pictures of my daughter.

Campione22

NatureBX's gear list:NatureBX's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow