Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Veteran Member • Posts: 9,288
Re: Pushing the boundaries, and Envy

James Pilcher wrote:

I cannot fathom why so many people here are annoyed, some tremendously, that other people have/want more resolution than they have. I can only conclude that these naysayers are masking Envy by belittling those things they do not and cannot have. It becomes the photographic version of class warfare.

I'm old enough to have seen this cycle in fact many times.  In the 60's/70's many people decided that 35 mm didn't hack it for their vision.  And for many it didn't. So they bought a medium format and used it when the genre called for a MF over a 35 mm.  The 35 mm was wonderful on the street - the Leica being the iconic street camera for the day.  The 6x7 was the cream d'la cream of MF since there was virtually no cropping to get a 8x10, 11x14 or 16x20 print.

Some moved on to 4x5 view camera to get the ultimate print quality alone with the advantages of camera movements.  Of course there were the detractors claiming there was no need for 6x7 or 4x5 was way overkill.  No it wasn't - but this envy has been going on forever.  As I used to tell my classes - after I apologized to the women in the class first - "no matter what your girlfriend tells you size does matters. Negative size matters and negative area matters. "  It still does in photography.  Today in digital since we can't make 4x5 sensors - resolution matters.  The biggest sensor with the max pixel density (within reason and reason is dynamic range) - with give the photography the max flexibility - can you say a 100 MP in the GFX 100.

If you want it for your vision - independent if you sell it or print it and hang it on you walls - if resolution matters you should buy all the resolution you can afford and not look back.

I’m glad that a 61Mp FF camera exists, just as I’m glad that a 100Mp Super FF camera exists (I am reluctant to call 33mm x 44mm medium format). I am quite unlikely to own either, but I’m glad they exist. Pushing the boundaries of technology moves the entire photographic world forward.

Absolutely!  I'm too old to tote my 4x5 over West Maroon Pass or Buffalo pass, or Frigid Air Pass - which I've done all with a 50 pound pack with my 4x5 on board - but I can sure appreciate the work of those at are willing.   If you want the resolution - for whatever reason - it's you choice and your money.  I say Go for it.

Jim Pilcher
Summit County, Colorado, USA
Living above life in the Rocky Mountains

-- hide signature --

Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gsz
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow