Is the M50 too small?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
rz64 Regular Member • Posts: 148
Re: Is the M50 too small?

lily munster wrote:

I've only had the M50 for a few weeks so still getting my feet wet. I am not sure if it's just because I am not used to it, but I find that because the camera body is so tiny, I keep accidentally pushing buttons on the back as I am positioning the camera in the tripod, or reorienting the back screen, whatever etc.

The funny thing is that I bought the camera because of its small size, but I'm starting to wonder if it's just too small. (And I am not a big person, and I have pretty narrow hands). I realize the dented area alongside the * button is there for a reason and I am trying to keep my thumb there but it's just not happening yet.

Aside from that, I am enjoying the M50! Even though it has a rather fragile feeling to it, it's a pretty robust little guy (at least I hope). However, I will not be using any super heavy zoom lenses on it though. I handle it pretty gingerly even when putting the lightweight M lenses on it.

I imagine this awkwardness will go away as I get more used to using the camera... yes? Anyone else finding the small size a bit, well, "odd" ? Especially if, like me, you are coming from a much larger/heavier camera.

I think it depends on your expectations. For me (I have the M6) it was important to have a small camera that I can always have with me. Since I also have quite small hands, for me the M6 has a perfect size with a lot of options. In relation to sensor size, IQ and handling I regard it as "the best possible compromise", especially in combination with a small lens.

rz64's gear list:rz64's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow