Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 GM for a7r III and family pictures?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Campione22 New Member • Posts: 6
Sony Zeiss 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.4 GM for a7r III and family pictures?

Hi,

I am hoping to hear opinions on which of these lenses would suit my needs better.  I switched to a Sony a7r III back in February from Canon and absolutely love it!  I am a landscape hobbyist, but really switched to the a7r III to have higher resolution for photographing my newborn daughter.  I have the 24-70 2.8 GM and it's a great lens.  It's the only lens I have.

Recently, I was able to borrow both the Zeiss 50mm 1.4 and the Sony 85mm 1.4 GM.  Both are ridiculously amazing lenses, and my wife is allowing me to buy one.  I am unsure of which one I like better.  I am leaning towards the 50mm 1.4, but is it worth the money for the extra stops when I already have that focal length covered?  Also, I love taking pictures of my daughter with other family members holding her, so is the 85mm 1.4 a bit too tight?  I feel like I may have to back up a bit more, and indoors, I may not have that luxury.

I appreciate all the opinions in advance.  Like I said, I am a recreational shooter, definitely not a pro.  I just love the hobby and want great pictures of my daughter.

Campione22

Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow