Do you charge for your copyright?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Asa7 Regular Member • Posts: 100
Do you charge for your copyright?

Hello fellow photographers!
I recently received an inquiry to work for a pretty large event. They need 2 photographers for all day. So I gave them my day rate plus the second photographer's fee. They didn't say anything about the copyright at first, so I did not include the cost in the rate. However, after we were almost close to completing the booking process, the client said they need to keep the copyright of all images and I cannot use the photos anywhere. Considering this is a pretty large event, that is understandable, so I gave him the fee (10% of the entire cost) for the copyright. 
And he said his budget is already reached. So, I asked him to at least cover 50% of the copyright fee. He got back to me and said he can pay but not 50%, it was less than 40% they agreed to pay. This will not even cover the copyright fee for the second photographer. So this means I will have to cover the cost to pay for the copyright fee for the second photographer myself, and I have to provide my copyright for free. 
He also said their organization has hired multiple photographers in the past but has never been charged for the copyright. This is probably because it's event photography, not like Fine Art photography or Celebrity photography. BUT still, copyright should be photographers' right. 
Now, I am wondering if you guys charge for the copyright (or like "work for hire") or if you guys just give everything to them without charging for the copyright? 
My regular contract states that the photographer is keeping the copyright, but the client is buying the permission to use them for their marketing and promotional materials, etc, so it pretty much covers most of their usages. Most of my clients are satisfied with this term. Sometimes I get "work-for-hire" request, and this almost always becomes a problem like this time, because they don't want to pay extra. 
What do you all think? 
Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow