Any reason to get the RX100VA over the new Canon G7XIII

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
NorCal Jim
NorCal Jim Regular Member • Posts: 358
Re: Any reason to get the RX100VA over the new Canon G7XIII

When Sony introduced the RX100M4 with the 5 minute 4K limit, my first thought was "Why bother?".  I was raised to take a long view when making significant purchases and already was irked at the general 29min, 59 second video limitation found in most digital cameras (especially, since it's an artificial rather than technical limitation to circumvent a tariff). For me, taking a long view when considering a significant purchase means looking not only at my immediate requirements but allowing room for growth.  In that respect, a 5 minute 4K restriction seems excessive.

However, when I pay attention to how I use the video function, I realize that I am mostly creating 2-3 minute clips.  I don't think that I have ever exceeded 5 minutes with any of my current cameras.  Looking at my use case, the RX100VA doesn't really impose a limitation on my actual video use.

I've owned several Canon cameras including point and shoots but the Sony RX100M3 has redefined what I want in a small pocketable camera.  I remember thinking that the M3 punched way above its weight class (to use a prize fighting analogy).  Sony didn't hold back in packing features in this small cameras (aside from a possible microphone jack).  On Canon's part, I really do believe that it held back a huge feature in not including its dual pixel AF despite including a microphone jack.  My vote?  I will be purchasing the RX100M5a.

Jim

NorCal Jim's gear list:NorCal Jim's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Olympus PEN E-P5 Sony a5100 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +19 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow