Nikkor 35/1.4G not up to high res sensor demands?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,797
Re: Nikkor 35/1.4G not up to high res sensor demands?

Jim Keye wrote:

camerosity wrote:

anotherMike wrote:

[deleted the useless comparison of the Sigma 35 Art to the Nikon 35 1.4G]

Realistically, the Nikon just doesn't resolve that amazingly at higher frequencies - we can see this in the gold standard of optical tests, bench MTF and for some of us, it's quickly apparent in real life tests too. That aspect may mean a lot, or little, to different photographers, even though is has good bokeh. Thus, it's not going to be a universally perfect tool for every photographer. Choices are good, dogmatic opinions that only one lens could be good, really aren't.

Off my usual soapbox...

-m

"Realistically, the Nikon just doesn't resolve that amazingly at higher frequencies"

Can we just move on from finding "the sharpest lens" out there? I do zoom my images up to 100 percent (called "actual pixels" by some) but never beyond that, and I am completely satisfied with the Nikon 35mm f1.4G. Do you MTF test shooting fanboys really zoom in to 200-400 percent to find "sharpness"??

Can we just move on from finding "the best rendering" lens out there?

Different people have different tastes and different requirements/needs. I can't stand soft images and I can't stand harsh bokeh. The 35 f1.4G catered too far to the rendering side of the equation for my taste. And guess what, I didn't even have to throw up to come to that conclusion.

But when someone says "it's sharp (often included with "wide open"), corner to corner," there is either an eyesight problem or an education problem. It's as simple as that. But if some says "hey, I like what it does and it works for me," then we have someone who's at least showing some signs of cognizance.

It's like the audiophiles, some who might spend $1800.00 on a pair of interconnects for their equipment, because "the upper mid bass is amazing with these cables".

If you can't or don't see it (or hear it), it doesn't matter. If you can, it might matter. And it might not. And no, the level you zoom in PS has nothing to do with it.

;-)!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of 1 Canon, 1 Olympus, 1 Pentax, 1 Ricoh, 1 Sony, and a lot of Nikon, cameras.

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon 1 V2 +24 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow