Adapting old lenses to µ4/3: Worth it?

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Smaug01
Smaug01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,441
Adapting old lenses to µ4/3: Worth it?

I have some old OM system lenses: 28/3.5, 135/3.5, 75-150/3.8 and a 50/1.8.

Most of them are covered by native digital lenses I already have for my M10.3. I assume the digital ones will be better in every way, except maybe a bit of speed.

Would it even be worth the $17 adapter price to use these old optics again?

For example:

• I have the µ4/3 Olympus 70-150/4-5.6 incoming. I would gain just over a stop of light at 150 mm with the OM lens. Since I wouldn't be using the whole lens, but just the sharp part at the center, would I gain some advantage in terms of sharpness and lack of vignetting? (I feel like not)
  • The 28/3.5 would be a long normal; kind of useless.
  • The 135/3.5 would be a prime telephoto. Could the IQ rival that of the aforementioned zoom I have incoming? Is that extra 1.2 stop of speed worth anything, considering I'd have to focus manually?
  • The 50/1.8 was such a humble and rarely used lens on my OM1N. I only used it for the odd available light stuff. Might it become a cracking portrait lens on my M10.3?
  • Any other OM system lenses that might be worth picking up cheap/used on ebay for the express purpose of using with this adapter? Maybe some kind of birding lens, like a slow 300 mm?

When I had my Pentax Q camera, I had a similar adapter and I adapted a screw mount telephoto cinema lens. Contrast was not good, but sharpness was astoundingly good, for a 60+year old lens. It was only a question of being able to find and manually focus on the subject before it moved. Also, it looked ridiculous, which I kind of like sometimes. That lens was about 2" diameter and 8" long. ^_^

I'm wondering how it plays out with µ4/3. If you bought one, do you still use it from time to time, or has it just turned into an impractical curio?

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +11 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Leica M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
YWG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow