Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 22,173
Re: Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Todd Jones wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Todd Jones wrote:

biza43 wrote:

Many photographers have clients that require high resolutions. It has been like that for decades, where we had film sizes from 35mm to large format.

For what end result is that mp needed or could they be caught up by by the mp race, please explain or show that need in use? Thanks

I know a couple of professional photogs in Portugal (my country) that need high res for what they do. They typically shoot fashion, corporate, studio, some also landscape. After all, high res today is about the same thing why folks used to shoot MF and LF in the past.

Worldwide, there are many others.

Right, a couple. And worldwide a tiny percentage (that's a guess that I'm pretty comfortable making).

You don't want to pay for the F1 engine in your daily commuter but you want the technology that is learned from F1 like safety, handling, new materials.

But a 4 or 6 cylinder in my car is perfect but I'd LIKE to have the other new technology that I can actually use with my 4 cylinder car. And I'm going to make another comfortable guess, that most photographers don't need it at all even if they think they do.

This is rarely about need, it's mostly about want. I didn't need a 5 litre V8, but I wanted it and I like what it does for me on a daily basis both in it's sound, acceleration and handling, even if I rarely break the speed limit. But I could have had plenty of fun with a 2.5 litre Mazda 3.

In the same way, for those who don't need 60Mp, there is still benefit. If we're in the business of telling companies what they shouldn't and shouldn't manufacture based on some loosely defined need and our own perception of what is "ridiculous", we might as well dial the clock back to USSR days and live in the Soviet Union.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gsz
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow