My "new" D5600

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bluzman
bluzman Regular Member • Posts: 249
My "new" D5600

I'm a fan of Nikon cameras who enjoys photographing landscapes and wildlife. Until a couple of days ago, all my gear was in the Coolpix family (P1000, B700, A1000). They're all "bridge" cameras with varing degrees of zoom capability (125X, 60X & 35X, respectively) that can capture both jpg and RAW files. They all have built-in VR. All allow a user to choose operating modes ranging from full Auto, through P, A, and S up to full Manual as well as offering pre-programmed Scene modes. Primarily, I use the P, A, and S modes and shoot jpg+RAW. Their other common characteristic is a small (1/2.3") sensor. Make no mistake, these cameras capture wonderful images. Take a look in the Nikon Coolpix Talk Forum and you'll agree.

Recently, though, I began to wonder what it would be like to shoot with a DSLR camera but knowing that to do so would require both a camera body and lenses. Rather than diving into the deep end of the pool (e.g., new D850), I decided to look for a capable but less expensive alternative that would allow me to see if I wanted to go down the DSLR path at all. I found that the D5600 had the features I wanted including some things not available in the Coolpix line like various focusing schemes. I don't shoot video so the fact that It doesn't shoot 4K video doesn't matter to me - full HD is fine.

Amazon offered a Nikon "renewed" D5600 with a kit lens. I figured the kit lens wasn't going to be sufficient. I did some more research and got two additional lenses, also Nikon "renewed" (90 day warranty). One came from Amazon and the other from B+H.

Here's my DSLR starter kit.

• D5600 with APS-C sensor
  • AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
  • AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
  • AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR

I've only just had a chance to take a few shots but here's a sample. They are SOOC. The first image was taken in the morning with the sun behind me. The other two were shot in the afternoon with the flowers in the shade. FWIW, as a newbie, I'm struggling a bit with properly using focus points so the blame for any fuzziness is on me, not the camera and lenses.

AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR

AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

AF-P DX NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3G ED VR

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD600 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D5600 +4 more
Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon D5600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow