Advice on Olympus EM1II vs Sony A6500

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rsf3127 Regular Member • Posts: 320
Advice on Olympus EM1II vs Sony A6500

I have had plenty of Sony cameras since the A700.

A while ago I tried an OM-D EM10II and liked it for its colors and portability with sharp and compact zooms. It became my travel camera.

I still have a lot of Sony and Sigma primes that I use with my A6000 in my office and to record video.

I need a camera to record video with a proper mic entry. I also am lusting after a longer lens to take on vacation to either Galapagos or Africa.

I can either rent some Sony telezoom or buy an Olympus 75-300 lens. It would be the same price.

That said, I must decide between an A6500 or EM1MII.

Both are weathersealed. Both have fast PDAF. The Sony have a more natural in camera HDR and I like doing panoramas once in a while. DR is a good bit better in the Sony and I like to lift shadows a lot, but DXO Lab does a fair job with the Olympus files from my EM10II. Color shifts in the shadows are more controlled in the Sony when shadows are lifted.

I am used to Sony menu system and am slowly getting used to Olympus. VERY slowly.

Resolution is not a concern. Both cameras would be ok.

I suppose that video are better in the Sony but am not that worried about it since I do not plan to become a cinematographer. My videos are plain simple, I just want better sound quality.

The Sony is 200 bucks cheaper, which is not a concern.

You can find the images I am used to do in my flickr page below my signature.

Any advice from people who have used both cameras would be welcome. Thank you in advance.

rsf3127's gear list:rsf3127's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di LD (IF) Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +13 more
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow