Canon EF-S 24mm F/2.8 STM: best option of wide-angle prime lens for beginners?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
edgareler
edgareler New Member • Posts: 8
Canon EF-S 24mm F/2.8 STM: best option of wide-angle prime lens for beginners?

Hey guys,

An year ago I started my journey in Photography purchasing my Canon T6 (with 18-55mm III kit lens) and my 50mm F/1.8 STM, and I'm taking portrait and landscape photos with that gear since then. As a beginner, I was pretty impressed with the results I got using the 50mm, but my kit lens have always gave me just "okay" photos.

The only problem I have with my 50mm is shared with other APS-C users: the photo is cropped to 80mm, which requires a good distance from the subject, depending on the goal of the photo. For landscape, of course, it's basically useless, which left me the kit lens as the only option.

After an year using the kit lens for 80%+ of my shots I realized that I need a better quality wide-angle lens to replace it and to be a good complement for my 50mm. Of course I'd love to have a nice wide zoom lens, like Sigma 18-35mm F/1.8, but with such lens costing twice of what I paid for my camera, it'd take a long time of savings to purchase it.

That led me to the lens mentioned on the thread title, the Canon EF-S 24mm F/2.8 STM pancake. Do you guys think that lens can deliver noticeable better results than my kit lens in 24mm? Is this the best option of wide-angle prime lens for beginners? Or is it better to save money, wait a little more and purchase a better quality glass like the Sigma's (or any other suggestion)?

edgareler's gear list:edgareler's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 III +1 more
Canon EF-S 24mm F2.8 STM Canon EOS Rebel T6 (EOS 1300D)
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow