Nikkor 35/1.4G not up to high res sensor demands?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 6,671
Re: Nikkor 35/1.4G not up to high res sensor demands?

anotherMike wrote:

My gut feeling is that you're letting your dislike of me affect your reading comprehension.

Here's how I judge image quality, which includes resolution: I print. And I look at the print. At normal, not insanely-stupid pixel-peeping close, viewing distances. When I look on screen, it's 100% and never more. No need.

I'm the guy who has done blind print tests to see if the differences on screen equate to differences most people can see on print, and found out, they can. I look at MTF because I'm openly curious if there actually are some objective measures to correlate to what I see subjectively. That's it.

There's a wide span of what photographers look for technically. I like lenses that render transparently and are sharp to the edges, because that's what helps get me to my technical goals of getting images that look like large format film output. That doesn't mean you have to strive for those goals, or that anyone else does, and it likely is that there are people who lie in between various thresholds and goals. No need to knock those of us who look for really high image quality out of our gear.

Look, I admit I was a total ahole in our last exchange and I apologize for that - you deserved better than that. But I do think it's time to say this: get off my case and move on. We aren't going to see eye to eye much, let's just agree to disagree and call it that.

-m

Mike I guess I am still old fashion and the end product for my photography is produced as a print.  I print my own up to 13 X 19 size paper and have the local photo shop print anything bigger.  I had a print of an ocean scene printed at 36 X 54 inches for a meditation room for a person with cancer.  I could view it at around 3' and it was very, very sharp even though the calculated viewing distance is around 8'.  I shot it with my d810 and Zeiss 18mm f2.8 zf.2 lens mounted on a tripod at an f8.0 aperture.  The air was cool and clean.

This is how I think of lens sharpness needs.  If I am shooting an event with people or portrait type photography I am concerned with excellent center resolution but the edge resolution is usually not a concern and can be used to show the print as more 3 dimensional.

If I am shooting landscape photography then the center and edge sharpness is important and I want a lens that displays this.  I do not look at images at over 100% and with my new d850 75% is plenty to see the sharpness.  The frosting is on the cake though when I look at the print at the size I want to print at.  I am also concerned with landscape photography that the distortion of the lens is small so if I need to correct in post processing that it doesn't screw the sharpness up at the edges of the print.

For displaying on the internet lens quality means little to me.

Thanks Mike for your practical discussions that lead to better equipment choices and better photography.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow