Better walkaround lens?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tbpeur01
tbpeur01 Regular Member • Posts: 222
Better walkaround lens?

Here is another "Help me decide what to do with my money" thread. I currently own the Sony 50/35 1.4s, and am very happy with both - sharp, centered copies. After extensive use with each, I now know that they are too close in focal length for me to justify keeping both, and each lens is too good to sit on the sidelines for any extended period of time. In an effort to diversify my assets and expand by kit, I plan to sell the 35 for either the 24 GM or Tamron 28-75. I realize both lenses are very different, but I believe both would serve as great light, versatile walk around options.

I'm leaning towards the GM for its low light capabilities, and my primary use for either will be shooting my two young children, and the occasional landscapes. What is your experience with either as a general walk around lens? I feel the GM is underrated for portraiture based on what I've seen, but it's clearly not as versatile as the Tamron. Any and all advice would be welcomed! P.S., i'm less concerned about the advantages the Tamron offers at the long end since I have plans to purchase the 90 macro in the future.

tbpeur01's gear list:tbpeur01's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow