Where Is the Camera Industry Headed In this Ridiculous Resolution War?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
NottsPhoto Senior Member • Posts: 1,676
Re: It's been that way for a long time...

Truman Prevatt wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Where, how and why did this resolution thing start to begin with? I mean, who on earth needs so much resolution??? I am going to guess that only a few photographers need such cameras.

You're stuck on need. Replace it with want.

I have always and will always want more resolution. Started with 35mm and then to 6x7 and finally moved up to 4x5 over time and it was amazing, loved what I could do with it. No different here - I'll always take more useable resolution.

Normal progression. It is better to have more and not need it and need it and not have enough.

Its better still to have enough.      More than enough is not efficient or optimising value.

“Useable resolution”.    I’m curious to know how one “uses” a 180mb file.       As I mentioned earlier,   We regularly shoot billboards and bus backs (double decker full height images btw... ) and we output files of circa 40mb to do so...ergo...  we downsize off the 24mp camera.

-- hide signature --

www.pageonephotography.co.uk
Striving hard to be the man that my dog thinks I am.

NottsPhoto's gear list:NottsPhoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gsz
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow