Is the A7 III expected to drop in price after IV launch?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Guyps Regular Member • Posts: 309
Re: Is the A7 III expected to drop in price after IV launch?

leonche64 wrote:

OutOfTime007 wrote:

So I have been considering changing over to Sony for a while now. Being a hobby photographer I dont really mind not having the newest gear and the A7 III is already a well reviewed camera. So now that the A7 IV has been announced do you think there will be a price drop for the III? How much did the II drop when the III came out? Or am I just getting my hopes up too much?

The new camera is an A7RIV, not the A7 IV. They are different models. The A7III is the hottest selling Sony camera, so don't expect a price drop any time soon. Maybe after a replacement is announced, in about 6 months or so.

I almost purchased an A7iii a few weeks ago when they were at a low price of £1699 then £150 cashback for a few days.

The prices then jumped back up to £1850. I almost then pulled the trigger on prime day when amazon dropped it to around £1720 (less the cashback) but I've decided to hold off and see what happens to the pricing after this announcement.

If the A7RIII drops to around £2000 then surely Sony won't expect to still be selling the 'entry level' A7iii for £1850.

Also the gap between the A7Riii and A7iii was around 4 months IIRC. I may just hang on to my Fuji until the A7iv announcement and decide whether to buy the 'older tech' at a reduced fee or go for the latest A7.

Guyps's gear list:Guyps's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow