Nikkor 35/1.4G not up to high res sensor demands?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
camerosity Senior Member • Posts: 1,604
Re: Nikkor 35/1.4G not up to high res sensor demands?

anotherMike wrote:

[deleted the useless comparison of the Sigma 35 Art to the Nikon 35 1.4G]

Realistically, the Nikon just doesn't resolve that amazingly at higher frequencies - we can see this in the gold standard of optical tests, bench MTF and for some of us, it's quickly apparent in real life tests too. That aspect may mean a lot, or little, to different photographers, even though is has good bokeh. Thus, it's not going to be a universally perfect tool for every photographer. Choices are good, dogmatic opinions that only one lens could be good, really aren't.

Off my usual soapbox...

-m

"Realistically, the Nikon just doesn't resolve that amazingly at higher frequencies"

Can we just move on from finding "the sharpest lens" out there? I do zoom my images up to 100 percent (called "actual pixels" by some) but never beyond that, and I am completely satisfied with the Nikon 35mm f1.4G. Do you MTF test shooting fanboys really zoom in to 200-400 percent to find "sharpness"??

It's like the audiophiles, some who might spend $1800.00 on a pair of interconnects for their equipment, because "the upper mid bass is amazing with these cables".

Geez, I just can't stop throwing up when I hear people like this.

/soapbox

camerosity's gear list:camerosity's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow