National Parks and Monuments in Arizona and New Mexico

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
wzhang
wzhang Regular Member • Posts: 230
National Parks and Monuments in Arizona and New Mexico

My family recently relocated from California to North Carolina. We took a two-week cross-country road trip along Interstate 40 and visited many wonderful places. I'd like to share some landscape photos here. And of course, C&C are always welcome.

Grand Canyon: it was more challenging than I had expected. Its grand scale and intricate colors seemed to be difficult to capture. I had also arrived late with the intention to get a couple of sunset photos, but ended up converting the sunset ones to B&W which seemed to have worked better.

#1. Grand Canyon at Desert View Point, late afternoon but still quite bright.

#2. A pano at Desert View Point via stitching of 2 photos. Like I said I was not able to capture the colors very well but found the layers of lighting differences quite intriguing.

#3. A pano at Grandview Point, sunset time. Again the texture seemed more appealing than the colors.

Ancient Native American Dwellings: we visited quite a few places with various styles and environments. Due to our tight schedule, all these places were visited between 10am and 2pm so lighting posed some challenge.  But all were interesting and visually appealing.

#4.  Wupatki.  The red sandstone structures were beautiful.

#5. Montezuma Castle.  The scale and architectural beauty were wonderful.  Again, lighting was harsh and challenging.

#6. Tuzigoot.  I wish I had moved my camera up a little to show more background & sky.

Petrified Forest: an amazing place with fossilized woods and colorful badlands. I really enjoyed the few hours we spent there.

#7.  A lone petrified log.  I found they way it lay on the ground and broke into pieces was somewhat poetic.

#8.  Colorful badlands.  I could look at this all day.  I did struggle a bit with post processing lighting and white balance.

El Malpais: this less-known National Monument in New Mexico was a hidden gem.  The variation of geology was not only beautiful but also interactively fun.

#9. Colossal sandstone bluffs overlooking a lava field. The contrast was marvelous.  The bluffs also became my 10-year-old's playground for a couple of hours for climbing and hiding.

#10. La Ventana Natural Arch.  Clouds moved in and formed a spotlight on the mountain.  I thought it was good contrast.

As always, I appreciate your attention and suggestions for improvement!

-- hide signature --

A scientist with an art-loving heart.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/153974059@N02/

wzhang's gear list:wzhang's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L II USM Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +2 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow