Anyone thinking of trading their A9 for the A7Riv?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Photography Matters Regular Member • Posts: 119
Re: Anyone thinking of trading their A9 for the A7Riv?

ShotsByCC wrote:

Yes, I'm going to go from an A9 to A7RIV I believe. Some may see it as a downgrade or why not wait until A9 2. But in regards to waiting until A9 2, no idea when they maybe, and presumably will be a lot more money than the already expensive A7R IV and if I trade in A9 now will be worth a lot more than when A9 2 Is released in my opinnion. Also no guarantee the A9 2 will be an r model and will more likely focus on speed than resolution.

I didn't get A9 for the 20 fps, nice bonus, rather it was several features it had at the time over the A7 options. I can't recall them all at this time.

The A7r IV gets us USB-C transfer and charging, a button for compensation dial (massive since it always gets turn on me), and removal of the speed dial so that we can program shooting speeds into custom modes/buttons, two UHS-II card slots rather than one, improved dynamic range, and 10fps is perfect for my needs. Enjoyed 20fps but ultimately spent forevering in Lightroom with all the extra shots. And the massive resolution increase is a major bonus. And can currently sell the a9 for roughly the cost of getting new a7r IV, while will cost me a few hundred extra.

Sounds like it's not totally blackout free, but most likely good enough if not a sports photographer. Also 74% coverage vs I think 93% coverage with A9, so that's more of a significant downside but the other benefits may out weight that. Also ISO is a lot higher on A9 I believe, but I've never used those extremely high numbers before so won't affect me but may depending no your type of shooting.

So if you bought A9 for sports photography (as it was intended) then I imagine you will want to wait for A9 2. If you bought it because it was the best overall camera at the time and had better features compared to other options at the time, then yes a7r IV may be a nice upgrade. Depending which of those you are tho you will probably feel strongly one way of the other.

Very thoughtful response.  It is helping me clarify my thinking.

I started a similar thread this morning asking about whether to go for the IV or wait for the A9 II.  The responses in these two threads have me leaning towards the A9 II.

My interest is increasingly in the direction of action and BIF photography, and I need all the tracking and AF help I can get, so the A7R IV--unless testing surprises and  it equals or comes very close to the A9's AF--is off the table. I'd love to have an all-purpose camera, and if the A9 II is 32-36MP, I'll be all over it. However, if the resolution doesn't increase to that range and other improvements are merely incremental, I'll pick up the Mark 1 version of the A9.  By that time, it might be available for $3000.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow