Nikkor 35/1.4G not up to high res sensor demands?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
camerosity Senior Member • Posts: 1,609
the Nikon 35/1.4G is my primary and favorite AF lens

Jim Keye wrote:

Michiel953 wrote:

It's my most used lens, mainly (as all my primes) at f4.0, and I find it perfectly satisfactory, sharpnesswise and of course renderingwise.

Any other feelings? I it "too old, obsolete"? Is my eyesight failing?

Most any f1.4 lens shot at f4 is going to perform very well. But so would most any f1.8 lens at 1/3 the price.

The disappointment over the f1.4 is it's performance at f1.4-f2.8--from a resolution standpoint. From a bokeh standpoint its one of the best ones out there. But neither is a factor at f4.

Ni disappointment here. I shot at f1.4 in NYC from the top of Rockefeller Plaza at night with stunning results (my judgement). Sharp corner to corner wide open.

This is my main lens when I am out shooting. Mostly shoot at f4-8 but also shoot at f2.8 quite often when the light is lower. Love love love the look of this lens. The color fidelity is outstanding, and I like the operation and feel of the lens. Never had to calibrate focus, it's good right out of the box. Lens hood is solid and not cheaply made like the Tamron 35mm f1.8 VC, which I bought to try out and returned a week later.

The 35mm focal length sees the way my eye sees. When I hold the camera up to my eye I see the composition I had in mind as I walk around. No other focal length does it for me and I've been shooting with a 35mm lens for 22 years now and love it.

camerosity's gear list:camerosity's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Df Nikon D810 +13 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow