Lee filters ... be warned

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iceman0911 New Member • Posts: 10
Lee filters ... be warned

I have long been an avid Lee and Singh Ray filters user.

Various purchases were made back in 2011 & 2012 of the following

Lee 4X6 Graduated Neutral Density 0.6 HE
Lee 4X6 Graduated Neutral Density 0.9 HE
Lee 4X6 Graduated Neutral Density 0.9 SE
Lee 4x4 Big Stopper 10 f/stop GLASS &
Lee 4X4 Neutral Density 0.9 Filter

Also purchased other various Singh Rays

Admittedly I have had the opportunity to use the first three since purchased so they are basically brand new and remain wrapped in their paper wrap in their own individual LEE cushioned storage sleeves.

I got to use them the very first time a week ago and only to find blotches everywhere on my image. After close inspection, it appeared that the original wrapping paper affected the quality of the tinting or resin on the filter. Very same effect were found on all three filters and I was very certain the wrapping paper was the cause.

Knowingly it has been a long time since the purchase however there was no mention of removing the original wrapping paper in their manual. I made an inquiry with Lee filter representative and this was the feedback I got was this....

"Being stored unused for many years in the original packaging unfortunately does them no good at all, and of course this would not constitute normal use."

So basically they are admitting that the original wrapping paper is no good for its purpose and ultimately affect the resin quality over the long run. This constitutes an inferior product in my view.

OK I am infuriated to say the least, not only the fact I wasted $400 then only to find out the product is unusable after a long trip back from a remote location. Lee then have the audacity not to admit to their fault in their packaging.

Upgraded the rest to Singh Ray filters

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow