Sensors and Processors

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dlee13
Dlee13 Regular Member • Posts: 284
Sensors and Processors

So I'd like to start a hopefully civil conversation about the effect that image processors have on camera sensors.

As many know, people are always complaining about Canon's sensor and their 'lack' of dynamic range. In recent years we've seen Canon switch to On Sensor ADC design which has improved the dynamic range of bodies like the 5DIV/EOS R but not quite to the level of the competition.

We know that a process interprets commands or information and the sensor is like the eye of the camera that sees the light. Call me crazy here, but I believe that Canon have a processor problem and not a sensor problem. I've seen some Youtubers speculate this before and I'm included to believe it.

Sony are known for their dynamic range and one interesting issue is the star eater problem which removes stars that it mistakes for noise. Now this shows that even in a RAW image, there is some processing done to the image.

Both Sony and Nikon are also capable of recording full frame video which the EOS R/RP are not capable of. I wish I kept the source but in one interview I watched, a Canon tech cited the processing being the reason this wasn't possible in Canon cameras.

Nikon are also able to get that slight better performance out of the same Sony sensors which shows the image processor plays a bigger part than we realize. Functions like Eye AF would also heavily rely on the processor to run these functions.

I have no technician knowledge in the area of camera sensors or processors, but could it be correct that the processor plays a contributing factor to the dynamic range that a sensor is capable of?

If someone here has some more advanced or technical knowledge on camera processors it would be great if they could share some insight.

Dlee13's gear list:Dlee13's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow