Now we have 60

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NCV
NCV Veteran Member • Posts: 9,040
Now we have 60

So now we have a 60MP monster from Sony with 15 stops of DR and 5.5 stops of IBIS amongst all the other bells and whistles. I see it also does not cost a lot more than the EM1X. I will not comment further.

The first rumours are starting to emerge from Olympus concerning the EM5iii, which of course is in another price bracket. But it seems that it is going to have the now somewhat tired 20MP sensor with 10 stops of DR.

Yes, we who actually take pictures know that 20MP is plenty, even my old D700 was fine on the resolution front for what I do and I would wager what most of us do. But MP sells cameras. Just see the buzz the announcement has generated on the DPR front page.

More interesting is the dynamic range. This is where a jump would be useful and the M43 10 stops DR is falling behind the 13-15 that FF offer. My D700 got ditched for dynamic range reasons.

The 5.5 stop IBIS also takes away an advantage that M43 had over the other systems. It also has the pixel shift hi res possibility.

If you do not use very long lenses the reasons for sticking with M43 are getting ever harder to justify. Cost of course is on the side of M43 still and the size of my three 2.8 zooms means I still give me a weight advantage.

Personally I still think running a M43 system alongside a FF system is the best solution for me but I am starting to have doubts.

Interesting times.

NCV's gear list:NCV's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
NCV
NCV
XRF
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
sbu
NCV
sbu
NCV
NCV
NCV
NCV
sbu
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow