Color Gels

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
226Photo Regular Member • Posts: 146
Color Gels

My daughter graduates from a accelerated program in a few months with her second degree. The university colors are maroon and white, I thought I'd do gift head shots for her and her classmates since the graduating class from this program is only about 30ish. I pulled out some small gel kits I have for my speedlights and mixed a red and a purpleish blue and shot it against my thunder grey background and got a close color. I have not messed with them much so this is a learning experience.  Problem is one is about 3 stops loss and the other is around 2 stops loss so it's really sucking the performance from the pair of yn560's I was planning to use. I was having to shoot in the 1/2 to full power range on 2 yn560 at the widest zoom to get a good color and spread even with the lights only 2 or 3 foot away from the background. Falloff made it hard to get a nice evenly lit background. I'd like to reserve my AD200 and Explor 600 as the main white lights. I'm going to have to order some other gels since I don't think my local camera supply has them.

I was looking at the Roscoe site and getting confused about what type and not really seeing something that might fit the bill without loosing to much performance. Anyone have some suggestions for a way to create a nice saturated maroon color without a lot of loss? If I can't get a good color without to much loss I do have 2 more yn560's to add in.

226Photo's gear list:226Photo's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR +7 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow