UV - attracted bug photography

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Victor Engel Forum Pro • Posts: 18,686
UV - attracted bug photography

I've not tried photographing insects attracted by UV light before this month. The first thing I tried was shining the light on the sheet from the outside. This worked out fairly well but had the problem of the light being out in the elements and bugs attracted to the bulb as well as the sheet. The next thing I tried was to move the sheet to the inside of the glass with the bulb inside the house. This worked pretty well but the glass functioned like a mirror sometimes, showing the flash or reflectors in the reflection of the glass. Today, I bought some black fabric that was transparent enough to let the UV light through. I'm not sure I like the result, though. It's functional as a loupe, but I'd rather there be less texture. Maybe I can find a better fabric or paper of some sort.

It's fine for large subjects, but much of what I'll be shooting is very small. The lens I'm using is a Canon MPE 65mm that has a magnification range of 1x - 5x. At a glance the moth looks fine, but details like the antennae get lost.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 5DS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow