Are the Nikon 600mm and 500mm F/4 AFS NON-VR still "pro level"

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
ConradTokyo New Member • Posts: 1
Are the Nikon 600mm and 500mm F/4 AFS NON-VR still "pro level"

I already own a Nikon D500 and Nikon 200-500mm f5.6, however, I recently have started to look into buying a nice "pro" prime for wildlife photography that I can use in lowlight or when the flexibility of my Nikon 200-500 is not needed. I definitely do not have the budget to buy the new E variants of either lens and have narrowed down my possible buys to this

Either IF-ED AFS NON VR 600mm F/4

Either IF-ED AFS NON VR 500mm f/4

The 500mm AFS f/4 g VR

Someone local is selling a 500mm f/4 AFS I for only 2,000 and I am tempted to get it at what seems to be such a good price compared to eBay. However, I am worried that the lens may be no longer considered sharp, etc. so my major questions would be

1. Will the 500mm AFS I be comparable in sharpness to the new E models?

2. Is the 500mm AFS I "weather resistant" like the new E lens models

3. Will the 500mm AFS I still have a solid AF?

4. Would the 500mm AFS I be better in sharpness than my 200-500

5.  Would the 500MM VR G be a better option and worth the 1,500- 2,500$ price hike.

I am interested in the extra reach a 600mm could get me however the 1,000+ hike in price and giant weight/length increase makes it seem less desirable to me. I also like the idea of VR coming from the f/4g along with the decreased weight but the jump in price makes it harder to consider.

If any of you have first-hand experience or sample photos from any lens mentioned (especially the 500mm AFS NON-VR) please post below

Thank you for your time!

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4D ED-IF II Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow