Sony A7r4... NOT an MF camera (obviously).

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bsas
bsas Contributing Member • Posts: 615
Sony A7r4... NOT an MF camera (obviously).

I am excited with the new Sony camera announcement, but NOT for the reasons the marketing BS keeping saying.

Let's be honest, just because you have A LOT of megapixels, you DON'T have an Medium Format camera. It is an Full Frame camera. This is the same as saying that the Sony A6000 is the same as an A7iii because both have 24mp

A crop camera is a crop camera.

A FF camera is a FF camera.

A MF camera is a MF camera.

It is a matter of the physical size of the sensor, how this affects the lens design, optics, light distribution, etc.

Is an 20mp m4/3 camera the same as an 20mp high profile FF? No.

Is any 24mp APS-C camera the same as an modern 24mp FF? No.

The new camera has A LOT of very cool features that I think Sony should explore more:

1) Going to a 26mp in crop-mode is awesome. You basically have a camera that IS an FF and a APS-C on the same body. If the camera is "faster" to focus and shoot in the crop-mode, you have the best of both worlds and that camera will be amazing for birds and wildlife;

2) We have a new sensor! That is very exciting. How is the DR and the noise on it? Very anxious for test results!

3) New ergonomics are always welcome. I like the current ergonomics but a lot of people don't, and improving it is always a good sign;

But, honestly Sony, "pushing it" as being a "Medium Format" competition is dumb

bsas's gear list:bsas's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Tokina AT-X Pro 100mm f/2.8 Macro +9 more
Sony a6000 Sony a7R IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow