Recommendation entry level mirrorless system

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Smaug01
Smaug01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,595
Re: Recommendation entry level mirrorless system

camrem wrote:

You won't beat the image quality you got with your Pentax. Would you take it along if you had an all-in-one zoom lens, or was it still too bulky?

our kit consisted of a sigma 18-200 and 35 mil Pentax. We mostly used the 35. Expect when we expect to need the longer range for instance for wildlife.

I went from a Pentax SLR to a fixed lens camera, the Canon G9X. It's like your old S95, but a step up in terms of sensor size. Nothing can beat a good quality pocket camera, when you want to take something along that's better than a cell phone camera, but aren't committed enough to carry something that will require its own case. Eventually, I missed some telephoto, and added a Panasonic FZ1000. That one's as big as an SLR, but is a lot lighter and only needs the one lens. (as it's equivalent to a 25-400mm, and stabilized)

Olympus has the E-M10 III out now. I just got one, and love it. Olympus' implementation of the ART filters is great, and the 14-42 f/3.5-5.6 EZ kit lens retracts in, so it's not too much bigger than a fixed lens compact, but has a much larger sensor. I got the body cap fisheye lens and have been having fun with that and using it to fill in when the kit lens isn't wide enough.

not sure about the fz1000. We’re kind of fond of fast primes. Something g9x might be added for really lazy moments but not as our primary system.

FZ1000's lens is a 25-400 f/2.8-4. Not a prime, but fast. Won't give the subject separation of an APS-C camera with a fast prime.

Micro 4/3 with an f/1.2 prime will, though. (Olympus makes several f/1.2 optics in their Pro line, priced around $1k each.)

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow