Recommendation entry level mirrorless system

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 11,455
Panasonic JPEGs, etc.

camrem wrote:

stargawker wrote:

I have the Panasonic G7 and really like it. I find I prefer the fully articulating screen instead of just a tilting screen like I believe the Olympus EM 10 has.

I took my G7 with 3 lenses (including a 100-300 mm telephoto) and a flash to Ireland in a very tiny bag.

Thanks, I don’t know why I left Panasonic out in my comparisons. So that’s a nice addition. Looking at their offerings I am more drawn towards the aesthetics of the GX series. Also, we are stills-only shooters, no movie at all. I also read jpegs are better in the Olympus. We plan to shoot Raw+jpeg to be sure but plan on doing as little post as possible.

Both Olympus and Panasonic have (according to reviews) improved their JPEG processing over time. It may be that at some point Olympus did better than Panasonic, but reviews of recent Panasonic models' JPEG processing have been quite favorable. IOW, neither is standing still, and what might have been true just a year or two ago may not be today. I can't comment on Panasonic JPEG quality because I shoot RAW almost exclusively.

FWIW, I have a Sony a7RIII, but my travel camera of choice is still my GX9 with 14-140. It's tiny & light, delivers very crisp images I can print 24"x32", and is just generally a joy to use. The main downsides? A comparatively small 4:3 image in the 16:9 EVF, and EVF optics that make it a bit difficult to have a clear view of the whole image. That said, I did tons of event work over three years with three GX7s that had essentially the same EVFs, and I never felt like the EVFs were an obstacle. I did replace two of them with GX8s for my event work because of the larger grips and luxuriously large EVFs, but the GX9 remains my travel pick because of its small size.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7R III Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +42 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow