Sony A7R4 threat for Canon (and Nikon) ? Locked

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
mermaidkiller Contributing Member • Posts: 906
Sony A7R4 threat for Canon (and Nikon) ?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/7747501993/sony-introduces-a7r-iv

Today, Sony announced the new A7R4 with 61MP (why so many, the megapixel race is presumably not over yet ?), but some nice features, like (finally !) 5GHz wifi, very high res 5.76 MP viewfinder (should be about 2000x2880), but also lacking 4K 60fps.

And pixel shift allows making 244MP photos (who needs it ??).

Anyway, Sony is absolutely king in sensor technology and Canon is way behind, such as a 3 year old sensor in the EOS R(P) (from the 2016 5Mk4 and 6Mk2 respectively).

I hope the rumored EOS R Pro (fictional name by me) with 60+MP which would be the successor of the 1DX uses a new sensor, maybe the same as the A7R4 ? Same would apply to the Nikon Z8 and Z9 ? But these are just thoughts.

And Sony is now also threatening the lens king Canon with their new 400mm f/2.8 and 200-600 and some other new lenses rivaling the top end EF and RF lenses.

What are your thoughts ?

-- hide signature --

Ricoh KR-5 ... Pentax ME Super ... Canon T90 ... ... ... 40d ... 7d ... 6d

mermaidkiller's gear list:mermaidkiller's gear list
Canon G7 X II Sony RX100 VI Canon EOS 6D GoPro Hero5 Black Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Canon EOS R Sony a7R IV Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony FE 400mm F2.8 GM
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow