Best Photo Editing Laptop 2019

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Austinian
Austinian Veteran Member • Posts: 8,480
Re: Best Photo Editing Laptop 2019

CAcreeks wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Trout Bum wrote:

Here’s an example of the fun stuff I get to see on Alaska’s north slope. Both were edited on my Lenovo Y510 IdeaPad. I’m pretty happy with the output. That being said, would an external monitor truly help make for a better edit? It’s a little off topic but could be influential with regards to choosing a laptop with more expensive monitor quality.

Since you can't transport an external monitor, I wouldn't worry about that at this point, but as you're wanting a new laptop it makes sense to get one with a high-quality display.

Just what constitutes a high-quality display is, no surprise, highly controversial. For some, nothing short of the finest external monitors will do; others have more relaxed requirements.

My personal opinion is that a reasonable choice for most users is an otherwise-suitable laptop with an IPS panel having a color gamut approaching 100% of sRGB, and the use of a hardware color calibrator. I'd also want at least FHD resolution.

I agree.

The main problem is that, if you have a monitor with very dim colors and < 95% sRGB

Like on our two older laptops. Well under 95%.

, your edits tend to be over-saturated.

...when viewed on a near-100% sRGB display.

I wouldn't draw a firm line at any particular %age; it's a matter of "more is better" IMO. Our little Asus ultrabook is, if I recall right, about 93% and looks OK with proper sRGB images.

The so-called 4K (UHD) laptop screens are generally wider gamut than the lower resolution screens. A touchscreen consumes more power than non-touch, if that is a concern for you.

Right, and a (minor) downside to wider gamut is that the non-color-managed Windows desktop becomes over-saturated; perhaps a visual UI problem, but not a photographic one AFAIK. That does bother me, so I usually leave this wider-gamut desktop monitor setting at sRGB.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R III Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Sony FE 28mm F2 Samyang 135mm F2.0 +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow