I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
golfhov Forum Pro • Posts: 10,449
balance

snip Look no further than the success of their crop 1.4 primes to see how well such a strategy could work.

I dunno...

I do have one of their F1.4 lenses, and I love it. They should definitely keep doing those.

That being said... not many F1.2 AF choices in Emount space. So... Seems like that could be a very viable strategy for them also.

Dont see why they couldnt do both.

I'm not saying they should stop stuff like the ART line. Just that there seems to be way more opportunity and demand below it than above it.

lens wise?

Even in FF I'm sure there are more people looking for ~$500 lenses than $2000-3000 lenses.

you left a MASSIVE window of 500-2000 available in the middle. Which it would be interesting to see the average release price from companies. I know Canon R has absolute blown the mean by having three out of six lenses over $2000. That 700-1700 range also seems to be where Sigma likes to put their product. Even REALLY cheap manufactureres like rokinon seem to struggle to try and break a $500 barrier

DSLR lens lineups are proof of that

I dunno. Taking exaggeration and hyperbole out of the conversation. The REALLY cheap stuff always seems to move in volume. Think nifty fifties and bad telephoto zooms. These seem aimed at newcomers and really budget oriented people. Then all manufacturers seem to jump highly to "quality" gear. Leaving third party manufacturers or older equipment to try and thread that middle. You like to refer to Canon. I don't remember the last Canon EF lens released under $500. Was it the 50 STM retread?

golfhov's gear list:golfhov's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow