I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Phil Photo
OP Phil Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 881
Re: I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

sportyaccordy wrote:

Sigma chasing the top end is a mistake. It's a crowded space in Sony FE land. There is already Sony GM, Zeiss, Cosina Voightlander etc. all in the $1000+ range. Sigma itself has a bunch of ART primes close to that $1000 mark. What else is there? With Sony, Nikon and the L-consortium seemingly committed to selling lenses no less than $800, seems like a huge opportunity across mounts. Sigma should be looking to go the other way and creating a basic lens lineup to share across these new FF MILC systems. Under $500 and 500g when possible. Look no further than the success of their crop 1.4 primes to see how well such a strategy could work.

I dunno...

I do have one of their F1.4 lenses, and I love it. They should definitely keep doing those.

That being said... not many F1.2 AF choices in Emount space. So... Seems like that could be a very viable strategy for them also.

Dont see why they couldnt do both.

Phil Photo's gear list:Phil Photo's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow