One of my AlienBees' resistors burned out

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: One of my AlienBees' resistors burned out

Sorry to hear of you problem.

You can get a Ohm's Law app on your smartphone or iphone  withthe color codes for resistors.  It will tell you the resistance and the tolerance. Problem is, even  if you manage  to secure and replace the resistor, the replacement may burn out again if the cause was overheating, a short  circuit all due to  or malfunction of another component.

It is true that l electronic flash units do harbor extremely high voltage that cans cause serious injury or electrocustion of not handled expertly.

I don't know what you experience is in electronics, soldering on printed circuit boards, and knowing how to safely discharge the electrolytic capacitors before servicing . You may be able to secure a schematic diagram of the circuitry in you unit but you woud need to know how to  trace the cause of the burnout and have the instruments to perform the tests.

Unfortunately , the least expensive way to solve you issue is to send it in for repair or even consider replacing the unit with a used one in working condition. I don't know what the availability of repair service is in you country or anywhere in South or Central America.

I  would Email the manufacturer and explain your circumstances and see  what they  have to say.

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow