I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,943
Re: I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

I've heard of Sony fan boys and MILC fan boys... but Sigma fan boys? That's a new one

Yes, the 45 2.8 is completely pointless. I'm no fan of Samyang but I'd gladly pocket the $100 or whatever and collect my 1 1/3 stop more speed.

Sigma chasing the top end is a mistake. It's a crowded space in Sony FE land. There is already Sony GM, Zeiss, Cosina Voightlander etc. all in the $1000+ range. Sigma itself has a bunch of ART primes close to that $1000 mark. What else is there? With Sony, Nikon and the L-consortium seemingly committed to selling lenses no less than $800, seems like a huge opportunity across mounts. Sigma should be looking to go the other way and creating a basic lens lineup to share across these new FF MILC systems. Under $500 and 500g when possible. Look no further than the success of their crop 1.4 primes to see how well such a strategy could work.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
NEX-5T Sony a7R II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow