Position of Hairlight

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,754
Re: Position of Hairlight

Hoskt wrote:

Thanks for all your advice.

I bought 3 LED-panel lights from eBay.

In my small room/studio, the backdrop spans across an entire wall. The only way to create a hair-light is to place a large stand as close as possible to the wall to hold up the hairlight as close to the ceiling as possible. Then position the backdrop (with the hairlight stand between the backdrop and wall).

I note Ed's comment that the fill-light should be closer to the camera, although I notice--from a Google image search for 3-point lighting--that the main and fill light are often 90 degrees from each other. Whereas, Ed, you seem to say the fill should be closer to the camera?

I haven't set up the studio yet, and will experiment according to all your comments.

Please add further if you have further comments if you all have any.

Personally I am no fan of putting a fill light behind the camera - all it is doing is flooding the whole scene with non-directional light.  I prefer not using a separate fill light at all when I can and use a reflector when used properly, provides greater control.  If I have to add a separate fill light then I'll add it where I'd otherwise use a reflector for fill and be very careful not to have it become a competing 2nd main light.

Regards,
Mike

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow