Viltrox Nikon to Sony E AF Adapter: Early Experience

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ching-Kuang Shene
Ching-Kuang Shene Veteran Member • Posts: 5,977
Viltrox Nikon to Sony E AF Adapter: Early Experience

I reported my experience in Vello Nikon to Sony E AF Adapter , but I have not been very happy about it.  So, I bought a Viltrox Nikon to Sony E AF Adapter.  Here is some early impression.

The following shows Viltrox (left) and Vello (right) Nikon to Sony E AF adapter.  The Vello adapter appears to be very solid while the Viltrox seems to made by some non-metal maerial and is lighter than the Vello.

Front Side

Back Side

This is the marking of Viltrox (NF-E1).

The unique part of this Viltrox is a USB port for firmware update.  However, I have not tried it so far.

I have tested the AF capability of Viltrox on my Sony A7II.  But, I only used the center AF point.  The following lenses are compatible:

• AF-S DX 35mm f/1.8.  Seems vignetting is minimal on my A7II
  • AF-S 85mm f/1.4G
  • AF-S 300mm f/4D ED
  • Tamron SP 70-300mm
  • Nikon DX AF-P 10-20mm 1:4.5-5.6G: some vignetting on A7II.  Nikon made a few AF-P lenses and this one is the only DX lenses that works with Viltrox.
  • AF-S 24-120mm 1:3.5-5.6G
  • AF-S 24-120mm 1:4G
  • AF-S DX 10-24mm 1:3.5-4.5G ED: some vignetting when focal length < 14mm
  • AF-S DX 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6G II ED: vignetting at 200mm
  • AF-S 14-24mm 2.8 ED
  • AF-S 16-35mm 1:4G ED
  • AF-S 70-200mm 1:2.8G ED VR: version 1

The following lenses are incompatible:

• Nikon AF 28-200mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED 
  • AF-P DX 70-300mm 1:4.5-6.3G ED VR 
  • AF-P DX 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G VR

I have not tried the AF-P 70-300mm 1:4.5-5.6E ED VR because I don't have one.  Through out the years, I usually prefer to use wide angle zoom lens and prime telephoto lenses.  I also maintain a set of mid-level and entry-level zoom lenses for casual shots.  The above list basically shows my way of using Nikon lenses.

My experience in using this Viltrox is basically the same as those Vello.  It is slow and not very accurate.  I have not seen the battery hog as what I found with Vello.  But, it could occure in the future.  Anyway, I will report it here if it will occur in the future.

CK

Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list:Ching-Kuang Shene's gear list
Olympus D-600L Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow