I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
TN Args
TN Args Veteran Member • Posts: 8,355
Re: I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

DenImage wrote:

I gotta be blunt here.

We waited a long time for Sigma to produce native FE glass, and I'm pretty disappointed with what they've announced so far.

I prefer compact light lenses. Sigma announced their 45mm f2.8 a few weeks after Samyang released their 45mm f1.8, which was optically excellent

Seen a bench test?

at a good price point. Who the hell is gonna be interested in the slow f2.8 Sigma???

Sigma's strategy of optical excellence regardless of size/weight may not be the right direction in the mirrorless market. Panasonic are seemingly going in the same direction. Let's see their sales numbers.

Den

Sure -- they never do any product marketing, so they always make the wrong decisions.

Sigma have clearly stated they are getting out of the cheap budget alternative lens market (their former market position) as its profitability was on the wane, and their strategy now revolves around top-end optics while still being well-priced.

If that is not what you want, then shop with another brand. Maybe Samyang. I am totally sceptical about your flat-out claim that a $399 45mm f/1.8 lens is "optically excellent", and will wager that the wide open performance away from the centre will betray it compared to a bigger and pricier 45-50mm f/1.8 lens, like the Nikon 50mm Z.

One has to pick one's balance between price/size/optics/speed when choosing a lens. If optics is your least need and size+speed is your highest need, then Sigma are not looking for you to buy their lenses. Not any more. They are looking for photographers with higher standards, and it makes sense when the bodies are $1500-$4,000, that the owner should have standards higher than what they could have settled for in smaller formats.

cheers

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow