I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
DenImage Senior Member • Posts: 2,595
Re: I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Phil Photo wrote:

I thought the new, pre-announced a year ago "new sigma lenses, designed exclusively for mirrorless" would be a big win for sony.
For all this time, sigma art lenses had beautiful picture, but the emount versions seemed to basically integrate an adaptor onto the lens.
I was looking forward to a smaller, potentialy lighter set of emount lens to use on my A7ii.

But I was wondering what the holdup was in releasing them.
Seems like the other shoe has dropped. I'm guessing they were holding the lens announcements, until their own new, L-MOUNT "fp" sigma FF camera was ready to go as well.

So now the new "fp" camera gets announced at the same time their first new "for mirrorless" lens was released

(35mm DG DN F1.2: available in Emount, **and L mount**)

Discuss?

I gotta be blunt here.

We waited a long time for Sigma to produce native FE glass, and I'm pretty disappointed with what they've announced so far.

I prefer compact light lenses. Sigma announced their 45mm f2.8 a few weeks after Samyang released their 45mm f1.8, which was optically excellent at a good price point. Who the hell is gonna be interested in the slow f2.8 Sigma???

Sigma's strategy of optical excellence regardless of size/weight may not be the right direction in the mirrorless market. Panasonic are seemingly going in the same direction. Let's see their sales numbers.

Den

DenImage's gear list:DenImage's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7 III Sigma 8mm F3.5 EX DG Circular Fisheye Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow