I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 5,551
Re: I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Phil Photo wrote:

Discuss?

Well - Sigma seems to concentrate on optical quality at a reasonable price on the account of size and weight while Sony seems to concentrate on miniaturization and optical quality at the account of price.

I prefer the latter one - make it as compact and comparable light at any cost and ensure a proper quality control and thus low copy to copy variation. Sony seems to excel on this topic IMHO.

Every new option for the FE mount is extremely welcome and I am happy that Sony encourages 3rd party vendors to compete on ideas and solutions.

Unfortunately the art of fast, comparable lightweight and optically outstanding primes is dominated by only one vendor - Sony - I'd love to see more competition here.

When you look at the GM 24 you'll understand what I mean - currently the best over all fast 24 mm prime with incredible AF and Eye-AF.

Fast primes need IMHO the best thinkable AF - slower primes can live with MFing and I love my Loxia 21 and 35 mm lenses - for more crowded places and portrait situations Sony still wins in every aspect. It almost looks like the pedigree of the walkman is shining though. There was no way around the walkman from Sony the time they produced it. It was by far the best, most compact and lightest of them all.

Looks like with cameras it's quite similar.

Fortunately their recent G and GM lenses fall into the very same category.

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow