which digital camera feels like shooting with a manual film camera?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Erinlale New Member • Posts: 16
which digital camera feels like shooting with a manual film camera?

Hi, I'm looking for a digital camera that replicates the experience of shooting with an all-manual film camera. I want to reliably whip the camera out, turn it on, and start shooting, without having it go into some weird mode (Iike that mode where only a narrow band across the middle is in focus) that takes time and trouble-shooting to figure out how to turn off. If that sounds like I want a point and shoot, no, that's the opposite of what I want-- those are automatic everything. Auto focus-- I hate it. Auto exposure-- hate it. Auto color balance -- I hate it.

I am frustrated with the automatic everything cameras that go into weird modes when all I want is to press the button and have it take a picture already. I'm frustrated with struggling to defeat the autofocus so I can manage to get it to photograph what I want. I so want to go back to my old reliable all manual 35mm camera, but I need to end up with digital image files so I have to use a digital. I want manual focus. I want manual zoom. I want to put my hand on it and have it go, not have to stare at a tiny screen for half an hour figuring out which menu "take a photo as if this is an actual real camera" is buried in, while the thing I wanted to photograph flies away. I want to zoom without losing focus. I want the shutter to fire when I press the button, not five seconds later. Is this so hard? Why can't I find this? This is absolute basic camera stuff, nothing fancy.  That's all I want-- I want a digital camera that acts like my 30 year old 35mm film camera-- and I don't mind buying used.

What should I buy?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow