Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
greyhoundrick
greyhoundrick Regular Member • Posts: 226
?: Question regarding Manual Focus Mode

Hello everyone,

Quick question for you...

I could not find the answer in looking in the manual or online so I hope you can help me! I always enjoy DPREVIEW and have always received great input here!

When using my Nikon Z7 in Manual Focus Mode I had inadvertently (Im going to use the excuse that I was tired lol) forgot to set my camera to MF mode. I had left it in AF-C mode.

When I went to move the focus ring it rotated fine (I had the lens switch set to M mode) and I was able to achieve focus using Focus Peaking. But, since I forgot to put the camera in M Focus Mode I was concerned about how that would affect anything.

I don't shoot that much in MF mode and was wondering if you shoot with this camera and lens combo what happens with the following scenarios while turning the focus ring?:

1. Lens in M Mode and camera in AF mode

2. Lens in A Mode and camera in MF mode

What I did was set the lens in M mode and focused it manually with the focus ring while my camera was still in AF mode. Is this damaging to the camera, lens, both or neither?

I believe with bodies that have a Manual Override option that you can quickly shoot manually by using this setting and just grabbing the focus ring but I wasn't sure what would happen with the Z7 with the Z lens 24-70mm f/4 attached as there is only the M and A settings on the lens.

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Best to you,

Rick

Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow