Local Nikon Event

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
bookz Regular Member • Posts: 177
Local Nikon Event

I had the good fortune of attending a Nikon sponsored event over the weekend.  Nikon teamed with a local camera shop to have a product demo day at the city zoo.  It was a lot of fun.  They gave a short briefing then gave you almost 3hrs to try out gear while walking around the zoo.  They showed some slow motion video they shot onsite the day before with the Z6 which was nice.

They had to have brought a couple hundred grand worth of stuff from a d3500 to a d5 and even a 180-400mm.  They asked that you limit time with lenses and bring them back to exchange.  I was able to try a 300 PF, 105mm micro VR, and a Z6.  I wanted to try the 70-300mm AF-P FX but someone was always using it.  I only knew about the event because I'm a zoo member.  I'd definitely go again.  I think it was $35.

Brief review of the gear I used.

300 f4 PF.  Super nice.  Compact and light - EASY to carry around and balance on a d7200.  It was quick to focus, quiet, and sharp.

AF-S 105mm f2.8.  Nice VR macro.  A lot of fun to use. The manual focus ring on the lens was a little stiff and squeaked a bit.  AF was pretty noisy and slow.  I tried to use it indoors hoping the VR would help me shoot some frogs handheld, but it was too dim.

Finally the Z6.  Really nice Cam.  I liked the viewfinder and it didn't take too long to get used to, but still not as comfortable as OVF.  The camera was responsive, solid feeling, and the perfect size for my hands.  I used it with the 24-70 S f4. Turning off auto-iso and seeing the exposure in viewfinder was nice.  I think mirror-less will have staying power.

They didn't have straps on any of the cameras!  I don't think anyone was brave enough to borrow a strapless d5 with the 180-400mm to walk around with, heh.

high iso detail

bookz's gear list:bookz's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II +1 more
Nikon D3500 Nikon D5 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow