I've been waiting on the new sigma "designed for mirrorless" lenses, and now...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Phil Photo
OP Phil Photo Contributing Member • Posts: 878
Re: what is there to discuss?

golfhov wrote:

If you are insinuating that Sigma purposely withheld them for some reason you would need to explain.

yup. I think perhaps if sigma released the lens earlier, they might have had a lot of Emount sales right away... but now they will have a few (relatively new) customers considering, "well, do I really want to buy this Emount lens, with my A7xxx+kit lens... or do I want to consider selling it/shelving it, and going with the fp+Lmount version?"

The FP also seems to come across as a more niche item then something that will sell in numbers. Still an interesting model BUt I don't see it moving a lot. Obviosly neither does sigma or maybe they wouldn't have offered E mount versions of their new lenses

I think their website is kinda stupid, and doesnt show the product well.

Did you scroll down on
https://www.sigma-global.com/en/cameras/fp-series/
and look at the full 7-way configuration styles they suggest?

Depending on the pricepoint of the FP, I think perhaps it will eat sony low-end sales, where people were considering a cheaper model A7, for video or street photography, etc.
Their more professional film rig (aka "cine style") looks interesting, too.
Not to mention their drone mount.

It wont replace A9, or high-end portrait A7iii use. But for mid to lower end use? maybe?
I would be interested in hearing experienced opinions on this.

Phil Photo's gear list:Phil Photo's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow