Snake, Dragonfly, Lizard, Bittern, Other Birds (7/15/19)

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 31,473
Snake, Dragonfly, Lizard, Bittern, Other Birds (7/15/19)

Finally moved into May - I should start to catch up a little quicker at this pace, with the summer slowdown, plus a Disney World trip in June which meant missing a weekend in the wetlands. This post, I have a mix of random stuff, including a snake, a dragonfly, lizard, and a variety of random birds from the local wetlands, Green Cay and Wakodahatchee.

All of the following shots were taken with the A6300 and FE100-400mm GM combo, and all are posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals:

A banded water snake slithering his way across the surface of a pond, staying above the bed of algae

He came to a stop and floated for a bit when he saw that I was waiting for him ahead...he debated whether to keep traveling in that direction - he eventually turned off to the right

A female grackle hanging out in a tree

A blue dragonfly doing a headstand on the end of a reed

Just to show how well the close focus ability of the 100-400mm lens does for pseudo-macro style shooting, check out this 100% crop from the original - view it in original size and you can see the eye grid patterns:

https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/3702150612/photos/3885488/dragonfly-100-crop

A puffed up pigeon standing on the hand rail - resting one foot

A basilisk lizard with a stoned, sloe-eyed look, warming itself on a sawed-off tree trunk

A juvenile green heron, still sporting some of his peach-fuzz white feathers over his adult coat, wading through the shallow water to learn how to fish for himself

Tiny, lightning fast little purple martin, buzzing the skies looking for small gnats to feed on

Buzzing my way, the martin circles around in the sky at full speed

Shooting right into the bright sun background, while this downy woodpecker sits in heavy shade under the tree canopy - he was vigilantly hunting for grubs in the tree branches and wouldn't stop moving

This downy's persistence paid off - he dug his beak into this branch and came out with at least 3, maybe 4, grubs for a nice mouthful of a meal

Hiding down in the shadows under some water plants, this male least bittern thought he was hidden from view, and didn't run away with me about 15 feet from him - least bitterns are usually a bit more shy and will try to hide - but he thought he was already hidden!

Walking through the underbrush of those water plants just off the surface, he came right at me, again not really noticing that I had spotted him and was photographing him...I was threading the focus through tiny openings in the leaves as he passed through them

At this point he came out into a bigger opening and then realized he was spotted, and darted off to the right under denser cover

A juvenile tricolor heron hanging out near his nest, hidden deeper in the pond apple trees

Comments, questions, and critique welcomed as always.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +22 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow