How I Got my $3500 Camera Kit Stolen on KitSplit for $70

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Smaug01
Smaug01 Senior Member • Posts: 2,495
Thanks for the heads-up

KitSplit is stonewalling you. The thief got away with your gear. It's all legal, though shady and buried.

Here are a couple of ideas:

• I didn't read the whole correspondence, but did you eventually file the police report? That's key, in my opinion. A detective should be able to track him down via internet history, IP address, etc.
  • How about signing up for a new account rent something else to him and setting up a sting? Get him on camera, if nothing else. Ideally, have the police ready to nab him when he shows up and you can identify him? 
  • Do you have the serial #s for your gear recorded somewhere? That could go in the police report and possibly get it recovered from ebay.
  • Check ebay and craigslist history
  • Check into hiring a lawyer. Have that lawyer talk to KitSplit's lawyer. If nothing else, they may rather settle with you than spend their time with it. 
  • If you're American, go to the Better Business Bureau's site and report them. Remember to check there before trusting any other similar business with your gear. If you're not American, your country may have a similar site.
  • Spread the word on Facebook on their site and sites that link to them. (think of where you found them)

Again, sorry to hear about the loss of your gear. I was thinking of renting a motorcycle through a similar service and I don't think I will. I certainly will not rent mine out. I could see it coming back crashed and the guy getting away with it.

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength."

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow