Position of Hairlight

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,754
Re: Position of Hairlight

I use a strip box positioned just above the background up behind the subject.  Because of its length it can be a hair light for an individual or a group.  The trick I use it to feather the hair light most of the time.  That is, it is not pointed down directly at the subject's head - instead it is pointed somewhat upwards and I use the upper inner angled side to bounce (feather) the light back down.  That ensures that the light doesn't add to the light hitting the background (unless I want it to with a white background).  Because the light is up pretty high there is no direct light or flare to deal with. One of the benefits of doing this is I almost never have to reposition the hair light and can simply turn it on and on when I need or don't want it.

Regards,
MIke

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +29 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow